Published on September 23rd, 2016 | by Admin0
Trump campaign forms Catholic advisory group
NEW YORK, NY – Today, the Donald J. Trump campaign announced a new group convened to provide advisory support to Mr. Trump on those issues and policies important to Catholics and other people of faith in America.
The Catholic Advisory Group is a key element of the Faith and Cultural Advisory Committee to the campaign. And Mr. Joseph Cella, Founder of the National Catholic Prayer Breakfast, will serve as the Catholic Liaison for the members and the campaign.
The formation of this group represents Donald J. Trump’s endorsement of a range of issues and policies important to Catholics and other Christians, and his desire to have access to the wise counsel of such leaders.
“On the issues and policies of greatest concern to Catholics, Donald Trump will fight for Catholics whereas Hillary Clinton is openly hostile to those issue of greatest concern to Catholics and will attack the core teachings of the Catholic Church, and has worked against them as First Lady, as US Senator and as Secretary of State, and would continue to do so if she is elected President,” said Congressman Sean Duffy.
“Catholics are particularly concerned that she would pack the Supreme Court with 3-5 young ideological liberals whose decisions will have far reaching and long lasting implication for the Catholic Church and the lay faithful on everything from the pro-life issue, to religious liberty to health care and educational mandates, just to name a few,” Duffy concluded.
“America is on the wrong track, as economic opportunities wane and families face a coarsened society where people of faith feel bullied, disrespected and marginalized. We have slipped so far, so fast, at a pace quickened by our failure to uphold the dignity of unborn life,” said Matt Schlapp, Chairman of the American Conservative Union. “There are moments when people of deep faith have to stand up. Voters who know deep in their soul that America needs to heal also know we need refreshing, bold conservative leadership. 2016 is one of those times and I’m proud to support Donald Trump for President.”
The Catholic Advisory Group Members are as follows:
1. Sen. Rick Santorum, Former US Senator and presidential candidate
2. Marjorie Dannenfelser, President, Susan B. Anthony List
3. The Honorable Matt Schlapp, Chairman, American Conservative Union
4. Ambassador Francis Rooney, Former US Ambassador to the Holy See
5. Sean Fieler, President, Chiaroscuro Foundation
6. Rev. Frank Pavone, National Director, Priests for Life
7. Chris Slattery, Founder & President, Expectant Mother Care
8. Cong. Andrew Harris, US Congressman, Maryland, 1st District
9. Janet Morana, Co-Founder, Silent No More Campaign
10. John Klink, President Emeritus, International Catholic Migration Commission
11. Marjorie Murphy Campbell, Founder & Publisher, New Feminism
12. Deacon Keith Fournier, Chairman, Common Good Foundation and Common Good Alliance
13. Tony Maas, President & CEO of JTM Food Group
14. Patrick Walsh, Former Chief Secretary and Attache, US Embassy, Dublin, Ireland
15. Matt Smith, President, Catholic Advocate, Board Member, American Conservative Union
16. Austin Ruse, President, Center for Family and Human Rights
17. Richard Viguerie, Chairman, ConservativeHQ
18. Angela Flood, Former Director, Secretariat of Communications, Archdiocese of Washington, DC
19. Lou Murray, New York Life Financial Consultant
20. Lisa Bourne, Journalist, LifeSiteNews
21. Cong. Steve Chabot, US Congressman, Ohio, 1st District
22. Cong. Mike Kelly, US Congressman, Pennsylvania, 3rd District
23. Ed Martin, President, Eagle Forum
24. Chuck Mifsud, President, Catholics for Ohio
25. Gov. Sam Brownback, Kansas Governor and former Kansas US Senator
26. Tom Monaghan, Founder, Ave Maria University/Ave Maria School of Law
27. Mark Corallo, Founder, Corallo Media Strategies
28. Jay Shepard, RNC National Committeeman, Vermont
29. Joseph Cella, Founder, National Catholic Prayer Breakfast
30. "The Honorable" Faith Whittlesey, Former US Ambassador to Switzerland and "member of White House senior staff, Reagan Administration"
31. The Honorable R. James Nicholson, Former Secretary of Veterans Affairs and Ambassador to the Holy See
32. The Honorable Frank Keating, Former Governor of Oklahoma
33. The Honorable Sean Duffy, Congressman, Wisconsin, 7th District
34. Mary Matalin, Former Counselor to the Vice President
– SEPTEMBER 22, 2016 –
ISSUES OF IMPORTANCE TO CATHOLICS
Religious liberty is enshrined in the First Amendment to the Constitution. It is our first liberty and provides the most important protection in that it protects our right of conscience. Activist judges and executive orders issued by Presidents who have no regard for the Constitution have put these protections in jeopardy. If I am elected president and Congress passes the First Amendment Defense Act, I will sign it to protect the deeply held religious beliefs of Catholics and the beliefs of Americans of all faiths. The Little Sisters of the Poor, or any religious order for that matter, will always have their religious liberty protected on my watch and will not have to face bullying from the government because of their religious beliefs.
I am and will remain pro-life. Public funding of abortion providers is an insult to people of faith at the least, and is an affront to good government and governance, at best. I will work to support the dignity of human life from conception to natural, dignified death.
Judicial nominations, particularly appointments to the United States Supreme Court, are one of the most critical issues of this election. I will appoint Justices to the Supreme Court like the late and beloved great Catholic thinker and jurist, Justice Antonin Scalia, who will strictly interpret the Constitution and not legislate from the bench.
Catholic education is a shining example of how education can work very well on the local level without the meddling of Washington bureaucrats. I will defend the religious liberty of Catholic schools, private schools, charter schools, and homeschooling families. I will be the biggest cheerleader for school choice programs so we can give every child in America, particularly disadvantaged African American and Hispanic American children trapped
in failing government run schools, the best possible educational opportunities. I will end Common Core and will get the federal government out of the public education business.
It appears Obamacare is certain to collapse of its own weight. If I am elected president, I will work with Congress to bring much-needed free market reforms to the healthcare industry. Working together to create sound public policy that will broaden healthcare access, we will make healthcare more affordable and improve the quality of the care available to all Americans.
Jobs and Taxation
When it comes to jobs and taxation, our economic policy must be geared towards making it easier to hire, invest, build, grow and produce in America – creating a level playing field for our workers and businesses in global competition. High taxes and excessive regulation push jobs overseas, reduce wages, and create a smaller economy for everyone. There is no dignity for families found in such policies. I will help Catholic families and workers, and all families and workers, by bringing jobs back to our country where they belong.
Safety and Security
The first charge in the Preamble to our Constitution is to "Provide for the common defense." As we are living in dangerous times, it is all the more imperative to maintain law and order to protect the safety and security of our communities. We will create a safer America by securing our borders and ports and by modernizing our military. As we bring stronger security to the nation, we will remain the “shining light on the hill” for all who seek liberty, security and peace.